Bacon Potato Breakfast Tacos
- 1 medium (215 grams) russet potato, diced
- 3 slices (80 grams) reduced-sodium bacon
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 (6-inch or 25 grams each) corn tortillas (certified gluten-free if necessary)
- 4 large (200 grams) eggs
- 4 large (130 grams) egg whites
- 1 small (90 grams) tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce or 30 grams) grated reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup (130 grams) prepared tomato salsa
Bring 6–8 cups water to boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add potatoes; return to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes or until tender but not falling apart. Drain well.
Cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until crisp. Place on paper towels, break into pieces and set aside.
Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add potatoes and cumin. Cook, stirring often, for 10–15 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer to a plate; set aside.
Wrap tortillas in a damp paper towel, and microwave on high for 1 minute or until hot. Keep covered until ready to serve.
In a medium bowl, lightly beat the eggs and egg whites together.
In the same skillet, heat remaining 1 teaspoon oil. When hot, add eggs. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 2–3 minutes, or until barely set. Stir potato and bacon into eggs; cook 1 minute or until hot.
Place tortillas on a work surface. Divide egg mixture among tortillas. Top each evenly with tomatoes, cilantro and 1 tablespoon cheese. Serve with salsa on the side.
Serves: 4 | Serving Size: 1 filled tortilla + 1 tablespoon cheese + 2 tablespoons salsa
Per serving: Calories: 280; Total Fat: 13g; Saturated Fat: 4g; Monounsaturated Fat: 2g; Cholesterol: 193mg; Sodium: 432mg; Carbohydrate: 18g; Dietary Fiber: 3g; Sugar: 3g; Protein: 22g
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium: 319mg; Iron: 10%; Vitamin A: 13%; Vitamin C: 13%; Calcium: 19%