Baked Hummus-Crusted Chicken
- 4 (6 ounces or 170g each) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 3 medium zucchini or yellow summer squash, roughly chopped
- 1 medium onion, roughly chopped
- 1 cup (246g) hummus, homemade or store-bought (certified gluten-free if necessary)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon paprika, divided
- 1 lemon, quartered
Preheat oven to 450ºF (232ºC). Spray two glass baking dishes with cooking spray.
While oven is preheating, pat the chicken dry. Season chicken breast with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add the chicken breast and hummus into a small bowl and toss until well-coated.
In a glass baking pan, toss the zucchini and onion with olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper until coated. Pat vegetables down until it makes an even layer in the baking pan. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon paprika. Bake for 15 minutes.
In the second glass baking dish, add the chicken breast. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon paprika.
Place both baking dishes into the oven. Bake the vegetables for about 15 minutes, and bake the chicken for about 20 minutes. Serve each chicken breast with about 3/4 cup of vegetables and 1 lemon wedge.
Serves: 4 | Serving Size: 1 chicken breast) + 3/4 cups veggies + 1 lemon wedge
Nutrition (per serving:) Calories: 358; Total Fat: 11g; Saturated Fat: 2g; Monounsaturated Fat: 3g; Cholesterol: 90mg; Sodium: 785mg; Carbohydrate: 22g; Dietary Fiber: 5g; Sugar: 4g; Protein: 39g
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium: 869mg; Iron: 15%; Vitamin A: 12%; Vitamin C: 66%; Calcium: 11%
Energizing Tips (optional)
- Serve with 1 small baked sweet potato for more calories, fiber, carbs and sweetness. (Per serving: Calories: 412; Total Fat: 11g; Carbohydrate: 34g; Dietary Fiber: 7g; Sugar: 8g; Protein: 40g)
- Serve with 1 whole grain pita for more calories, fiber and carbs. (Per serving: Calories: 528; Total Fat: 13g; Carbohydrate: 57g; Dietary Fiber: 10g; Sugar: 5g; Protein: 45g)