One-Pan Mediterranean Eggs
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 jalapenos, seeds removed and diced
- 1 can (28 ounces) low-sodium diced tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 bunch parsley, chopped
- 6 ounces baby carrots
- 8 ounces store-bought hummus
- 1 medium bell pepper, sliced
- 1 medium cucumber, sliced into sticks
Heat up a skillet or saute pan that you have a lid for over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil to pan; add garlic, onions and jalapenos to heated oil with a dash of salt. Saute for about 6 minutes, until softened.
Add in diced tomatoes with cumin, paprika, chili powder and salt. Mix everything through. Saute for about 4 minutes.
Crack eggs directly into tomatoes. Lower heat to medium, cover, and cook for about 5 minutes, or until eggs are done to your liking.
Garnish with parsley. Arrange your Mediterranean platter of pita, baby carrots, peppers, cucumbers and hummus. If you have leftover Greek yogurt, you can also serve that up with the eggs. Use pita to scoop up egg and hummus. The veggies can be dipped into hummus and yogurt.
If you would like toasted pita, heat oven or toaster oven to 350 degrees F (about 177 degrees C). Toast pita for 5 to 7 minutes when oven has warmed up. Serve with the eggs.
Serves: 4 | Serving Size: 1/4 of dish
Per serving: Calories: 304; Total Fat: 16g; Saturated Fat: 3g; Monounsaturated Fat: 5g; Cholesterol: 212mg; Sodium: 414mg; Carbohydrate: 28g; Dietary Fiber: 7g; Sugar: 11g; Protein: 12g
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium: 828mg; Iron: 17%; Vitamin A: 144%; Vitamin C: 75%; Calcium: 11%
Energizing Tips (optional)
- Add 1 whole wheat pita bread (100 calories each, 4 pitas total) to bump up calories and carbs. (Per Serving: Calories: 404; Total Fat: 18g; Carbohydrate: 48g; Dietary Fiber: 12g; Sugar: 13g; Protein: 17g)